Monday, May 5, 2014

Nomination for the Liebster?? Whoa!

I just got nominated for the Liebster Award. This is an award that honors new quality blogs on the block with less than 200 followers! I am very happy and not a little shy about it . . .I guess it means I'm doing something right. And that always feels good.
      Thanks to all the readers and supporters, and to Colleen Bergin who has nominated me. It's been a lot of writing and research, but I'm glad to do it if it helps others love teaching, writing, English, education, and do their jobs better at teacherspayteachers.com, or at whatever they do.
Colleen sent me some questions to fill out and so I'd be delighted to answer them, even though I don't normally go on about myself (at least in a serious way; if you read this blog you know what I mean). So without much further ado, here's a little Q & A session in which I answer questions posed to me by Colleen Bergin. Thanks Colleen!


First of all, Thank you to Collen Bergin, who nominated me. Be kind and see her rockin' blog, Adventures in English! 


1. Question:  Why did you go into teaching? I really do think I saw "Dead Poet's Society" too much in high school and, combined with my personal love of language and books, thought teaching would be the best job ever. In retrospect, I realize teaching is one of the most difficult jobs in the world though one of the most challenging. I feel really blessed by some of the experiences I've had.

2. Question:  If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you vacation? I would love to go to Thailand, India, Italy, many states in America like the redwood forests in Oregon and upper California plus Alaska during the summer. 

3. Question: What is your favorite food? Indian, Greek, Ethiopian

4. Question: What do you like to do in your free time? Go to gardens, play with my cat Dude, see places nearby with my husband, and catch up on small house projects

5. Question: Share a funny moment from teaching. When we left the window open because we didn't have air conditioning and a squirrel came in the window. Of course this was the frightening thing that could ever occur. So I and the most brave student stayed in the class while the rest of the class ran out faster than any fire drill and together we "pied piper'ed" the squirrel through the classroom, across the hallway, INTO the teacher's lounge and out the next open window in that room. Everyone erupted in cheers - including the religion teacher who was sitting in the teacher's lounge watching it, and the students who were "so scared" in the hallway, but followed us in to lounge to watch the "grand escape."  This isn't really teaching, though I did set a poetry assignment based on the experience. And the students (grade 10) willingly complied.

6. Question: Why do you blog? I am a writer of fiction and a former reporter/journalist. I am published and so Blogging is a natural extension of how I express myself. I use my blog to talk about English and writing subjects, classroom topics, resources on teacherspayteachers.com, as well as selling tips depending on the day!

7. Question: What is your favorite topic to teach and why? I love Shakespeare, language, and words, so any close reading work makes me very happy, and I'm good at it. I also love teaching fiction and poetry writing. Students love doing it and they gain mastery in many more skills than what you think they do. There are a lot of critical thinking skills needed in writing a story. 

8. Question: What is your biggest pet peeve? Unclear pronoun reference. That person that takes up two parking spaces because - you know - his or her car is that important. Or the person who pretends that he has no idea the line started five miles back and then just as the merge starts he "realizes" that that is the lane he needs to be in. I think the word is lack of consideration or selfishness. 

9. Question: Where do you find inspiration? Tricky, Tricky, it's never in the same place twice. I read that taking a walk increases your creativity though so I might try it. I like taking a drive, too. Also conversations with others helps as does nature.

10. Question: What is the latest book you've read? JUST got George R. R. Martin's first book. . . the book based on the cable series "Game of Thrones"? I don't know how it is yet, though it seems great so far. I also constantly am using reference books, Norton's Anthologies, "Best of" books etc. This is not reading in the traditional sense but standard research. 

11. Question: What words of wisdom would you give a new teacher. "You care, you are doing your best. Keep organized, keep doing your best, and find ONE person you can rely on. It gets easier."  


Some Facts About Me:

  1. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer - I taught English in Ethiopia
  2. I lived in San Diego for about a year (loved it)
  3. I love ginger, red bean and green tea ice cream
  4. Have a penchant for research and will look up things on a whim but will get involved and stick with it for months (edible fruits of the world, anyone?)
  5. Enjoy taking on hobbies (bread making, spice growing and making, scrap-booking)
  6. I have a replica poesy ring from the Shakespearean era as my wedding ring
  7. Enjoy origami and miniature sculpture when I have the time
  8. Must've been crazy when I enrolled...in acting school at Mason Gross school of the Arts? I am quite shy, which is why I prefer writing to acting.
  9. One of my published stories was published via audio recording.
  10. I love Teachers Pay Teachers and love selling my writing, fiction and other teacher resources to middle and high school teachers.
  11. I also enjoy blogging TPT Sellers' Tips on Tuesday, and a Secondary English Language Arts Feature on Friday. I'm happy that other people are responding so positively to it too!

God Bless, and Thank you so much!!!
                                                                Visit Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment